Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My favorite American women

Ive been thinking about this. In an era where Hillary Clinton gets so much of the airwaves who are the women that I instinctively like when I see them on TV or read about them. Women who have something to say and say it well. Its an ecclectic list indeed...In order...

1. Sandra Day O' Connor - because of her grace, her eminence and her scholarship
2. Madeline Albright - Divorced mother who got a PhD and became our first female Sec of State
3. Oprah - No explanation needed....for seeding the world with the next generation of women leaders....for turning adversity into prosperity and darkness into light
4. Melinda Gates - smart, focused, the brains behind the greatest act of philanthropy in the history of the world
5. Laura Bush - for her poise, her panache and her Job like faith to stay married to the biggest horses ass in recent American history
6. Nancy Pelossi - Madame Speaker - For engineering the 2006 victory, for standing up to Dick and Bush (Shes #1 on the Hottest Granma list :)
7. Cokie Roberts - The female Edward R. Murrow. The voice of reason and reasonableness. A great writer, news woman and wonderful mom and grandmother
8. Venus and Serena Williams - Oodles of talent, great attitudes, changed the game forever
9. Meg Whitman - for taking ebay from a nice idea and making it an icon of the web
10. Maya Angelou - for making words sing and caress my heart

Hillary does not make the list because I think she is actually a man!!!!
Condi doesnt make it either because Presidential lap dogs is a whole other post

4 Comments:

Blogger Nirupa Mohandas said...

Sanjay: Here's my global list: with some Americans you have left out.(all are still alive)

1)Aung san suu kyi
2)Wangari Maathai
3)Gloria Steinem
4)Toni Morrison
5)Billie Jean King
6)Jane Goodall
7)Hillary Clinton
Not sure about these two but they have been certainly influential: Madonna and JK Rowling.

11:32 AM  
Blogger delhiite said...

My fav Maya Angelou poem:

PHENOMENAL WOMAN

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most men are hypocrits when they talk about accomplished women and just like to comment from a distance.Men will still chase victoria secret models anyways.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Sanjay said...

yes you are right sara - most men chase pretty women but admire noble ones from a distance. Too bad you are neither.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home