Saturday, January 12, 2008

So I went to my first campaign event ever

Sen John McCain was visiting an adjoining town to the one I live in as part of his Michigan campaign. It was great to see him. I got within 5 feet of him but never shook his hand. He is a small man. Not more than 5 ft 6 inches or so.

What was really interesting was the crowd. 99.9% white. The only non whites in the audience were either Asian women (probably 2) married to white guys or adopted black children of white couples. (There was a handful of reporters who were not white either). There were probably 1200 people in the high school gymnasium.

Other than a few Ron Paul hecklers it was an orderly event. McCain did his usual stump speech. He talked about Islamic fascism ("The biggest threat of our time'), The Surge ("its working my friends and David Petraeus should be Times man of the Year"), jobs for Michigan ("The old jobs aint coming back"), nuclear power (as an alternative to dependence on Middle Eastern oil) and reducing taxes. It was a good speech. He cracked four or five really funny jokes and that was it. He definitely does not look as old in person as he does on TV. He did not take any questions.

He has always been one of my heroes (although he dropped a little bit in my esteem when he refused to criticize Bush on Iraq (just Rumsfeld) and when he went to Liberty University to meet Falwell) and I always wanted to see him in person.

I wonder if he will get the nomination. The GOP likes to give guys their turn when they have waited long enough (like Bob Dole). McCain certainly has. The only problem with McCain is that his age (71 years) just has to be a factor when compared to the spring chicken junior Senator from IL.

I think he is a great man, a great hero and a real patriot. I wish he had spoken a bit about Gitmo and torture and a sane Immigration policy but he stayed to the safe stuff. He also took some pokes at Putin ("when I looked deeply into his eyes I saw three letters K - G - B" - which really was also a dig at Bush ).

2 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Why would you admire McCain and still claim reason as your religion?
As you mentioned, the crowd was white, critical issues like ending the war, immigration and realistic steps toward encouraging economic growth were left out.
The man is a Bush supporter - enough lack of reason and sanity.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Sanjay said...

I admire McCain because he is a hero. Because he got tortured every day for five and a half years at the Hanoi Hilton and had the courage and the love to forgive his tormentors. I admire McCain because a few years ago he had the stones to take on the theocons in the GOP. Yes his pandering to Bush has made me lose some respect for him (as stated in my post). I admire McCain also because he is not hypocritically pushing the Immigration issue under the rug and making unrealistic statements that 12 million illegals can be somehow ignored in our midst and finally I admire him because he alone in the GOP has stood up for the Bill of Rights by being opposed to torture

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home